Not removing ghosted drivers

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I am using Windows 7 x64 without UAC enabled.  When I try to remove the ghosted drivers they are still present after I refresh the application.

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Hi,

For device removal you need to have the privileges. As long as the UAC shield is on the button nothing happens. When pressing a button with the shield on itm ghostbuster tries to restart with more privileges. Pressing the button without a shielld will start the removal.

You might try to start ghostbuster as administrator.

wvd_vegt

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I concur,   this app doesnt work with Windows 7 x64,  without UAC, running as Administrator, and running in XP Compatibility modes

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Hi,

I cannot change what windows 7 / vista require for device removal. As i use it under windows7 x64 with uac enabled i can tell you that ghostbuster works correctly on that platform.

You should at least be able to remove the devices manually (by setting the environment variable and show the hidden devices). If that is not the case, ghostbuster will not work as it performs the same operatoin but in bulk.

If ghostbuster it shows the uac shield it has detected that elevation is needed, if it doesn't it did not detect uac but that still does not mean everything is allowed. Under winxp it will never show a uac shield (no uac api) but as limited user you will not be able to uninstall devices.

Btw where do you disable/turn off uac in windows 7?

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:30 AM

Start à  the type UAC in the search box directly above the start symbol, and hit enter.

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:34 AM
To: powellch@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Not removing ghosted drivers [ghostbuster:225877]

Hi,

I cannot change what windows 7 / vista require for device removal. As i use it under windows7 x64 with uac enabled i can tell you that ghostbuster works correctly on that platform.

You should at least be able to remove the devices manually (by setting the environment variable and show the hidden devices). If that is not the case, ghostbuster will not work as it performs the same operatoin but in bulk.

If ghostbuster it shows the uac shield it has detected that elevation is needed, if it doesn't it did not detect uac but that still does not mean everything is allowed. Under winxp it will never show a uac shield (no uac api) but as limited user you will not be able to uninstall devices.

Btw where do you disable/turn off uac in windows 7?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ghostbuster@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ghostbuster@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Hi

Just tried it and confirmed it works like expected on windows 7 x64.

BUT you still need to press the remove button twice (the app still detects UAC running). Once to restart ghostbuster with the correct elevated privileges (and because UAC is turned off you will not need a give confirmation) and once for the actual removal process. If you watch carefully you notice the UAC shield dissapears from the remove ghost button.

I think UAC is not turned off at all but only the amount of acknowledgements dialogs is reduced to zero in your case.

So the only thing changed is that you do not have to confirm the restart at elevated level.

Btw thanks for the UAC turn-off tip (handy for testing!).

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I am having this same problem. I see the ghosted devices, when I click remove them the window grays out for a second and then comes back without removing anything. I have tried this on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 to no avail.

I also ran the program under local system credentials with the same exact problem.

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Hi

Did you mark any ghosted devices or device classes for deletion? You should right click the grid and add the devices you want to be removed (these will be colored).

Next run, these settings are remembered.

wvd_vegt