ADD Class/Device function

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM
Edited Mar 22, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Hi,  I downloaded Ghostbuster,  great tool, lot of time saving! it go straight to my paypal pending list. 

My question is about the function  ADD Class/Device from the contextual right click menu, what exactly does that? .

Also I have a suggestion.  Some devices class, like Disk Drives and DVD/CD ROM drives, does not display any information, serial, model etc for the listed devices, it just only appear like a generic 'Disk drive' or 'CD-ROM Drive' . which is inconvenient to identify some devices the user want not to remove, despite being marked as ghost. Sometimes it drive me back to the slow Windows Device Manager,  I'd really like to know  what  ghosts disk/portable/external items I am removing as is done in the other full description categories in Ghostbuster.

That little annoyance aside, the program is very useful, thanks so much. 

Regards

Carlos.

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hi,

Ghostbuster works by adding devices names or device class names. Of the the devices/classes added it will delete only the ghosted ones. All other devices (and sevices) are untouched.

Adding a device class means that all ghosted devices of that class will be removed. When adding a device ghostbuster removes all ghosted devices that have the same name.

When ghosted devices are removed only the references are removed and drives and inf files are untouched, So in most cases plugging in a device once more only results in having to watch the installing drivers dialog after which they function as before.

As for the extra information, I did some research but could not find that information. But I'm working on a new release and will revisit it as I would like to see it myself too.

Regards

Wim

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Hi,

In the latest release some of the requested information is present. But as stated before it's hard to get.

As Ghostbuster still cannot distinguish between this devices it's not that helpfull but might prevent accidental removal.

Regards
Wim