New feature request

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM

First, great program!!!  I use it frequently and it saves me a ton of time. 

I would like to request some command line options in the next release.  This would help in deploying GhostBuster to multiple machines at once and have the ability to automate removal of Devices, Classes, etc.

Thanks again for developing this great program.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Xier74 wrote:

First, great program!!!  I use it frequently and it saves me a ton of time. 

I would like to request some command line options in the next release.  This would help in deploying GhostBuster to multiple machines at once and have the ability to automate removal of Devices, Classes, etc.

Thanks again for developing this great program.

Thanks for liking the program (always good for my motivation)!  

I will add commandline options as soon as possible and have a look it i can run it in console mode too. A potential problem might be the elevation prompt on Vista/Win7 etc. to which a user has to answer. Installing a tool like elevator at every client is probably not a good idea either.

Should have though of it earlier as it would be very handy in combination with a tools like sysinternals psexec.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hi Xier74,

I've implemented some new features including commandline support and scheduler support.

This last option is perhaps interesting for you as it allows one to create shortcuts or run ghostbuster without further UAC prompts once the scheduled task is created.

Please report any problems you find and i'll try to fix them. I tested mainly on windows 7 x64 but the code should work on WinXP and Vista too.

wvd_vegt

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM
WVD_VEGT wrote:

Hi Xier74,

I've implemented some new features including commandline support and scheduler support.

This last option is perhaps interesting for you as it allows one to create shortcuts or run ghostbuster without further UAC prompts once the scheduled task is created.

Please report any problems you find and i'll try to fix them. I tested mainly on windows 7 x64 but the code should work on WinXP and Vista too.

wvd_vegt

Awesome!!!!  Thanks for taking the time to add the requested features.  It will GREATLY help.  Keep up the awesome work!

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hi Xier74,

Just a note of advice (for you and others).

As I found out running a scheduled task at startup may not be a good idea when using a laptop and a docking station. If you remove the laptop from it's dock and fire it up, it might delete docking station devices (as I found out with my laptop just after finishing testing).

As the number of devices inside a docking station can be pretty high it enlarges the startup time significantly.

wvd_vegt

May 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  I actually use this tool as part of my post P2V steps.  It's an excellent tool and is a real life (and time) saver.  Keep up the great work!!!

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hi,

P2V as in Physical to Virtual (PC)?

I wrote it after getting totaly frustrated on the device manager doing refresh and me clicking the next device to remove. And not to forget add the environment variable I never could remember. So I know it saves at least me quite some time.

wvd_vegt

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Might I suggest that you try to obtain some sort of feedback after a successful clean. Say a pop up opens a few days after a clean which would then send a report back to you on what was removed and what had to be reinstated. This then could be used to provide accurate advice within Ghostbuster for other users on how safe it is to remove an item or if an item should be left well alone. This would then open up Ghostbuster to many more users.

I hope this makes sense.

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hi,

I'm not planning do do any server side or give advise to users what to remove or not (other than to be carefull and not to touch/remove what they do not know or recognize).

Besides the software already flags several drivers as service and that makes them not not removable. This covers a lot of things not to be removed.

As drivers are reinstalled by windows most of the time (because ghostbuster does not remove the inf or driver files) and ghostbuster is not intented for the 'stupid' user the risk is small (and imho for the end-user).

Finally the number of drivers and hardware etc is just to huge on windows.

regards
wvd_vegt