Items order

May 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Seems to work well. A suggestion from me would be to be able to order the items by clicking on the tops of the columns, as many other programs do. This would put all the ghosted items together, rather than have to scroll down to find them.

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. Personally i like the grouped view as it is better suited removal of device classes. If sorted otherwise, adding a class may result in many more items being selected (but outside the visible part of the listview).

Although my time is a bit limited at the moment but I will try to add this feature (together with a system restore point) asap.

wvd_vegt

May 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Hi,

I was going to suggest the same feature (sort by columns), although I appreciate your explanation of the potential risk.  It seems that sorting by columns would make it easier to get a quick idea of what is ghosted.  But even if it were available, I would return to the grouped sort after adding any class (or even device) filter, both to better understand the classes/devices structure and to verify that everything looked OK before taking action.

For me, it's partly just about curiosity and trying to learn more about how the Windows system and registry work, and it seems that being able to sort by columns would facilitate exploration/learning.

However, it would work just as well for me (if not a little better) to have an option to export the current detections in a grouped CSV format.  I found I could export all the detected items using NirSoft's SysExporter (www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html), but for some reason it is not picking up the group headings and extracts the items in a single alphabetical listing instead of in groups as displayed.  That allowed me to dump the items into a spreadsheet and sort for ghosted items, but a grouped listing would be much more informative/educational.

The reason I say this might be a little better is that I would probably like to keep and compare snapshots over time just to better understand what changes occur.  I'll already be able to do this alphabetically with SysExporter, but the grouped view would be nice.

I've just discovered* GhostBuster, however, and it seems it already adequately accomplishes its main purpose, so the above would just be icing on the cake!  Perhaps the sort-by-columns feature won't seem so important after I've used it a bit more, and you may already have ideas about more important/urgent changes/improvements (like the System Restore Point you mentioned above... ...I don't need that, but probably a very good idea for the average  user!).

Thanks! :)

---gdv

* (via Raymond.CC's blog at www.raymond.cc/blog/uninstall-hidden-devices-calling-ghostbuster , in case you're interested)

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Hi,

Maybe a hiding non ghosted is a better option (that way you keep the grouping). If i have time I will also try to add some more device info like manufacturer although the main goal is to keep it as simple as possible (I find the nirsoft tools very handy but not for the average users). Besides the API's used it pretty hard to grasp and there is little documentation in C# on them.

As for export, the filtering settings are stored in Ini File format under %appdata%\GhostBuster.

In the latest release it's possible to run it as a scheduler task (at startup) and then it will log each device removed into the eventlog. But be warned, it's a 'bad' idea if you have a portable with a docking station (as i found out).

Ghostbuster does not remove any drivers so is safe unless you remove devices that are critical to windows (thats why a number of devices are marked as service so they are listed but cannot be removed). Some devices are not PnP and will not be re-discovered by windows.

What happens is pretty simple, everytime you plugin a (usb) device in a new spot on a PC you get a new device entry. When you remove it it becomes ghosted waiting for you to plug in the device at the same spot. When starting windows starts checking which devices are plugged in (and the more ghosted devices the longer it takes). So if Ghostbuster is run and deletes a ghosted device windows does not check for it next reboot. When plugged in again windows does the PnP game, installs the device driver and creates a new device entry. This is the only drawback, this takes somewhat longer than when the device was still ghosted. As for learning I think it's better to see the relation between ghosted and non ghosted devices then just the list of ghosted ones.

I already found the blog you mentioned when I explored why I suddenly had 1000+ downloads on a single day (instead of the normal 40-50 a day).

Btw always good to hear the software is appreciated.

regards
wvd_vegt

Coordinator
May 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Hi

I've just added an option to hide all unfiltered and non ghosted devices from the list. It will seriously condense the list's size.

regards
wvd_vegt