Device "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM

wvd_vegt,

I have noticed that I often cannot delete the device "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" from the device list.  After reading a couple articles it looks like it is a null device GUID that really doesn't do anything.  Please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff549447(v=vs.85).aspxDoes it make sense to mask this entry or have an option to hide it in a future release?

One last request.  Is is possible to add additional command line functionality that would simply allow a quiet\non-quiet blanket removal of all ghosted items instead of referring to an .ini file?  Here is why.  Depending on what type of drivers have been installed on a particular machine the .ini content will vary.  Fof example, machine "A" may only have 18 driver entries in the .ini file whereas machine "B" may have 23 entries.  If i use the .ini from machine A on machine B it may miss some ghosted entries.  Having an option to simply remove all ghosted items would solve this issue.  Something like "/RemoveAll and /RemoveAll /NoGuI".  Hope that makes sense.

As always, keep up the great work; I use this tool constantly.  I'm glad that you continue to keep the product up-to-date.

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the Url (it solves the mystery surrounding this Null Guid)!
Somehow it did not turn up in my searches.

I will consider hiding it in a next release (or block it from removal by setting the type, like the 'services' ones).

As for commandline switches, it already has them (as you noticed) but it's a bit tricky as GhostBuster need to run elevated. Thats why it supports the task scheduler (but even that is tricky as a simple removal of ghosted devices at startup is not very smart if you have a laptop with a docking station).

Just run ghostbuster from the commandline with a /Help switch.
For what you want, (if you can run it elevated easily), the syntax is:

GhostBuster /nogui <path to a GhostBuster inifile>

The default IniFile is located in %appdata%\GhostBuster

You can use GhostBuster to create a suitable ini file for you (if you want to remove all ghosted, which i strongly discourage, you can use wildcards to match devices, see below). Some devices like some sound and system devices are often ghosted but should not be removed unless you want to ruin your computer. Better is to have a good set of classes/devices instead to match want you normally encounter.

Use wildcards with great caution. I only added wildcards to get rid of drivers left over by Microsoft Security essentials (all start with the same letters followed by a build number). But you're off-course free to create a ini file with the following content (again strongly discouraged):

[Wildcards]
Count=1
item_0=*

Bottom line, I will certainly not add /RemoveAll as it's just to dangerous.

regards
wvd_vegt

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I understand why a /RemoveAll switch would be dangerous for 99% of basic users.  I wouldn't want a person writing stating that the utility somehow bricked their workstation because they didn't understand how to use it.  I am probably an atypical user of this utility as I solely use it as part of my post server P2V steps to remove references to the previous physical server hardware.  Often times there are anywhere from 50-100 ghosts from this process so navigating the GUI each time is a very tedious process so I rely on the .ini file heavily.  I have yet, in over 200+ P2Vs, had the utility cause harm to any physical or virtual machine using the automated .ini references.

I like that there is now a system restore option however this obviously won't work on a server platform so maybe if the application detects that the required OS services are either not started or non-existent (servers) that the option be unavailable\grayed out.  Just some usability feedback.

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Hi Xier74,

Just checked the code and there is a test for availability of system restore.

It's enabled if the operating system is WinME, WinXP, Vista or Windows7 or a srcclient.dll is found on the path. On Win95/95/2000 and servers the checkbox should be disabled. After some additional; googling around i found a slightly better way to detect the system restore option by adding a search for rstrui.exe. It should be present on all systems having the system restore option (and is indeed missing on my WHS2011 server). 

It will be in the next update/release.

regards