COM ports still defined as in use in windows

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Nice program having an issue but not sure if its me running the program slightly wrong or if its a limitation.

I am trying to remove large numbers of FTDI COM ports.

Now the tool removes them from the Ghost Buster list and from Device manager but when you try and assign a COM port a new number the removed COM ports are still listed as in use even though the devices have been removed so are unusable.

Any ideas?

I cant see a way to add images to this post but i have some screen shots which show the issue quite well.

Regards,

Antoni
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Hi

Thanks for mentioning it.

Ghostbuster calls the win32 uninstall api and if the inf files are correct all should be uninstalled. It does not access the registry for this.
My development machine has the same issue (so I have a way of finding what goes wrong).

Btw I had more complaints about certain left-overs.

regards
wvd_vegt
Dec 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Hey

Thanks for the reply

Does that mean it's something which maybe fixed/added in a future version?

Regards

Antoni.

Sent from my iPhone

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Hi

I want to keep out of the registry as much as possible (Ghostbuster does not know what it removes, it just removes and has few safeguards).

But I think I found the cause:

http://superuser.com/questions/408976/how-do-i-clean-up-com-ports-in-use

So I'll think about how to add it nicely (Maybe an extra check after normal removal), but only after I'm sure this cures the issue.

regards
wvd_vegt
Dec 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Thanks for the info.

One of the guys I work with has his own tool which works perfectly in co to delete ghosted ports but we can't get it working on win 7.

So was hoping your tool would do it for us. With that info he might be able to make it work

Regards,

Antoni.

Sent from my iPhone

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Hi

The latest release of Ghostbuster has a special dialog (see the tools menu) to release non existing com ports that are still flagged as in-use.

regards
wvd_vegt
Marked as answer by wvd_vegt on 12/31/2014 at 6:08 AM
Dec 31, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Thanks for that will check it out when I'm back in the office.

Regards,

Antoni

Sent from my iPad