Alternate device names still visible in Device Manager when ghosts are removed

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:07 PM
This program appeared to remove my ghosted devices but I still see anomalies in Device Manager which are related to the ghosts that were removed, such as network adapter #2 or #3 when I only have one driver installed for the device. GhostBuster needs more work to address these device management bugs. The fundamental problem with Windows is that it's so fragile: it's far too easy to break and far too difficult to repair. You need so many different third party tools to compensate for absurd design flaws which will never be fixed, and that goddamn registry is such an awful mess! As the old saying goes, those who don't understand Unix are doomed to reinvent it, badly.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2016 at 4:01 PM
Hi

In case of the network adapters there is little I can do. I use the windows API to uninstall the devices but network adapters are notoriously difficult to remove due to their complexity (multiple things are installed at the same time like hardware, protocols, miniadapters and more ). Even the device manager often fails on them and GhostBuster is using the same API but in a more streamlined and automated way.

I have looked into it multiple times but never found a good solution to remove them, unlike for instance the serial ports numbering issue that was resolvable.

Bottom line, I may revisit this issue but don't hold your breath.

Best Regards
wvdv

ps I do not share your comments on fragility as I'm quite happy with using Windows since I ditched Windows 3.1 for WinNT 3.5/4,0. I find it given the range of hardware it runs on a far bigger achievement than for example OSX.