veeery slow to do anything

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM
Im not sure if its to be expected with 19000 ghost devices, but it is super slow to open the app - 15 mins or so. Now I have selected all the ones I want to remove (Mostly volume shadow things) it has been sitting using 12% of the CPU, along with svchost on 12% (so both maxing a core out) for about 20 mins now. Its not showing any sign of progress on the little bar at the bottom and clicking the window just gives a ding noise.

I cant resize it, or cancel whatever it is doing.

I guess I will just leave it overnight, but the UI really could do with responding when things are lagging out like that. I assumed it was just broken when I first launched it and only saw it when I came back to the PC after going to do something else for a while.
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Hi

There is not much I can do about being slow (the code does traverse the device tree and I'm dependent on the windows API performance.

I can have a look into using async code (but the problem is that you can only do removal once the tree fully loaded & reviewed because of wildcards etc). It should give progress btw in the status bar (counting the numbers of devices & ghosts). But if the CPUI load it high, I'm not sure it gets painted by winforms.

Btw If you start it elevated it will save you a complete enumeration.

Btw 19000 ghosts is a lot ;-)

Best Regards
wvdv
Oct 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM
I shall leave it running overnight. Is there any harm in killing the task when I want to shut the PC down?
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM
I did not kill it during execution often, only when a single device would not remove in both GhostBuster and Device Manager (So if you kill it I guess you have to rely on Windows to do the right thing).

The actual removal is just a single API call (but GhostBuster has to perform a number of other API calls to get the info needed for it's parameters).

Btw I had to kill the device manager also a couple of times without any visible effects. But if you can leave it running or hibernate it (and resume later).
And I would even prefer a shutdown over killing it.

Best Regards
wvdv
Oct 24, 2016 at 11:56 PM
It completed overnight, and windows device manager is no longer taking foever to open and constantly crashing, and plugging in new hardware is back to how it was when a new install for detecting and installing drivers without huge delays.

Will have to see what keeps making all those volume shadow ghosts, Im thinking it might be my external drive that has a habit of turning off at random, or crashplan backup. But anyway thanks for the app.
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Hi

Good to hear finally it solved your volume shadow copies issue.

Normally volume shadow copies are limited by free space and are mainly caused by windows restore points and previous versions. You could try to lower the amount of disk space available for it (it's possible to do this drive specific). Also backup jobs tend to generate them (if they are using it to read open files).

Best Regards
wvdv